|Diventa nostro Follower su Twitter!
|Letteratura Inglese||Chinese Literature||
|Mindoro Island||Negros Island||Samar Island||Tagum|
*********************The content is published under a creative commons licence :
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0 / ).
|Zambales Travel Guide
Edit This The best resource for sights, hotels, restaurants, bars, what to do and see
St. Augustine Catherdal Bell Tower
St. Augustine Catherdal Bell Tower
Paul Q. Gozon
Provincial capital is Iba, centrally located in this coastal paradise. The bustling city of Olongapo is adjacent to the former Subic Bay Naval Station.
|In the heart of Zambales visitors can find Botolan Wildlife Farm, a family run home for wild animals and exotic plants; and in Iba at Sajorda River Park - one destination, 3 swimming locations to choose from: by the beach, the river and by the swimming pool with slides. On site catering and accommodation facilities are available. Open 7 days a week.|
|Part or or all of this text stems from the original article at:
Iba, one of the oldest municipalities of Zambales, has a total land area of 15,338 hectares. It is b ounded by the town of Botolan on the South, Palauig on the North, and China Sea on the West and mountain ranges on the East. It is more or less oblong in shape. Like most of the other towns in the province, Iba has a geographical feature of being situated between the sea and mountains This town is easily accessible to Manila and Pangasinan by land transportation.It can be also reached by small aircrafts using the Iba Airport. Iba is about 200 kilometers from Manila using the roads north of Manila. Iba has become a popular destination for summer vacationists and tourists due to the pristine and beautiful beaches that line the shorelines of Iba. Its pollution-free beaches due to the absence of industrial activities in Iba, make it one of the best places in the Philippines. Visitors enjoy the fresh marine bounties like tuna and other fish varieties,, lobsters, seaweeds as well as the luscious fruits includng the famous "Zambales Dinamulag Mangoes". Indeed vacationing in Iba is an experience worth repeating. Founded by Recollect priests in 1611, the village of Paynawen moved from one place to another until it settled permanently along the banks of Bancal River, where a fort was built as a defense against pirates who constantly molested the region. In 1860, the How the town got this name became a legend, that has been told, retold and handed down from generation to generation. The story happened during the early days of Spanish colonization. It was told, that while most of the Spaniards were busy establishing the pueblo, one of their men sneaked out from the group and curiously wandered around the village of the natives. Along the way, he saw a group of people, who incidentally were eating a certain kind of soft fruit. This particular Spaniard, being stranger to the place, approached them and asked the name of the place, but because of language differences, the natives thought, he was asking the name of the fruit they were eating, immediately, they replied “Iba . ., Iba . ., Iba . . “ from then on, this small pueblo was named Iba. The early formation of Iba was attributed to the Zambals, an ethnic group who belonged to the Malay race. They originated from the Celebes. They pushed the dwarfish, kinky haired Negritoes or Aetas eastward to the hinterlands. These Zambals eventually established their settlements on what is now the Municipality of Iba.Through the course of time, other ethnic groups like the Tagalog and Ilocanos migrated, occupied and formed their settlements on the southern portion of the province. They later on inter married with the Zambals and became the ancestors of these present generation. At various points in history, the capital of the province shifted from each of the three towns earlier established by the Spanish colonizers, namely, Masinloc, Sta. Cruz and Iba, but because of Iba’s strategic location, it finally became the permanent seat of the provincial government. Several history milestones had swept over the Municipality during the early days. One of which was during the declaration of the establishment of the Zambales province on August 28,1901, by the second Philippine Commission, headed by William Howard Taft at St. Augustine Cathedral - a church built in 1700 out of coral and limestone. Another memorable event was when WWII broke out, the Japanese invading forces conducted a devastating bombing ran on Dec. 08, 1941 at Iba Airfield which resulted to the annihilation of both civilians and US forces stationed in the area. The Japanese Imperial Army later on, established their garrison at Poblacion, Iba. Originally, the municipality comprised of forty- five (45) sitios, eight (8) barrios and one (1) poblacion. These barrios were created by virtue of Republic Act 3590 on June 22, 1963. By virtue of Presidential Decrees of then Pres. Marcos on October 1974, Presidential Decree 86 and Presidential Decree 86-A, the poblacion were subdivided into six (6) zonal districts, and all sitios were integrated to their mother barangay. DIOCESE OF IBA
The faith first came to the territory of the diocese in 1607 through the efforts of the missionaries of the Order of the Recollects of St. Augustine.
They settled in Subic, Masinloc, Sta. Cruz, Iba, and Cabangan where they established the first centers of the faith.
The faith flourished in the region until the troubled days of the Revolution of 1896. Leaving ruined churches and convents in its wake the revolution rendered the region practically unattended; only some time later did secular priests take over some of the vacated parishes. In this state of things the territory became a fertile ground for the Aglipayan schism to gain a foothold and prosper, so much so that almost the whole length and breadth of the province come under Aglipayan influence.
Upon invitation of the Archbishop of Manila, Michael J. O'Doherty, the Divine Word Fathers took over the spiritual care of Zambales some time in 1928.
Starting their missionary activities in Iba and San Narciso, they gradually took over other towns and localities, concentrating their work in rebuilding ruined churches, building new ones, establishing more parishes, erecting schools and conducting catechism centers whereby they hoped to regain much lost group through the young.
The administration of the faith in the province changed hand when the territory was transferred to the care of the Columban Fathers in 1951.
The prelature of Iba was erected on October 18, 1955 as suffragan of the archdiocese of Manila. The Most Rev. Henry Byrne, SSC was appointed the first prelate ordinary and he took economical possession of concentrating on their work.
The prelature of November 4, 1956. On November 15, 1982 Iba was elevated to diocese. Upon the death of Bishop Byrne the Most Rev. Paciano B. Aniceto, then auxiliary bishop of Tuguegarao, was appointed second bishop of Iba. On January 31, 1989, he was appointed archbishop of San Fernando, Pampanga. The Most Rev. Deogracias S. Yñiguez, Jr. succeeded him on December 27, 1989.